Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Why THIS song?

The first song I am trying to tackle as a guitarist is by no means a walk in the park. Quite the opposite in fact. Harmony Leads from Duane Allman and Dickey Betts? What the HELL was I thinking?!?!!? Oddly... I will tell you about my introduction to this piece.... Al's Crossroads on 3rd Ave West in Birmingham Alabama. I was all of 17 at the time. There was a trick I figured out early on about Al's place. If you were IN the place before the guy showed up to start charging a cover charge... he just assumed someone ELSE had checked your ID and left you alone.
So I would show up on Fridays as early as 5pm sometimes just to beat the ID check and get to hear a live band.
This one night... 4 long haired hippy types come straggling in with equipment for the gig and set up these dooziwhatsis things I had never seen before.
I later found out they were rotary cabinets for the hammond B3 organ.
They must have smoked a pound of dope each before the gig... but good GOD could they play! And play they did.... for HOURS! It would seem like a single song that lasted the whole set of 45 minutes!!
That was the first night I ever heard In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed and got Idlewild South the next day.
Okay I really shoplifted it from the Woolworths... but Im fairly sure the statute of limitations has long passed by now.
If you are wondering who the hell Elizabeth Reed is... check this out if you want.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Memory_of_Elizabeth_Reed



This is day THREE of my attempt at this song.. and remember... Im NOT a guitarist!

No comments:

Post a Comment